ブログ アーカイブ

2010年2月19日金曜日

I have been keeping a very very loose list of things that go on throughout my day that I might be able to write about. Most of the ideas that I come up with I either forget or determine them to be too personal or end up judging nobody will really care (do you care that the nabe I ate last night was too spicy and lit me up like a broken fire hydrant? Didn't think so).

So I have tried to cut the list down to some happenings in the last few days or weeks.

First we will start local. There was an election for mayor of my city (which recently due to 合併, gappei, or consolidation) has become much bigger. The incumbent lost to a new guy who is younger only by relativity. The old mayor was in his 70's this guy is in his 50's. Ain't math great?!? Anywho so this new guy I guess campaigned on getting control of spending and one part of which is too cut the special English program we run here. See the City of **** has special permission from the Ministry of Education when it comes to teaching English. ALL elementary school students from grade 1 to grade 6 are taught English. I think it's only one or two times a week for the younger kids, and three or so for the upper grades. It provides a lot of jobs for many ELTS as you can imagine. So hearing that he wants to cut it to save money made me not a fan. I have already decided that this is going to be my last year so it doesn't really effect me, but I think it is a good program and **** has many good ELT teachers.

Moving onto international news, I have been trying to keep up with the Olympics and their goings ons. I, unlike many it would appear, really liked the opening ceremony for the winter games. Being a "Bellingham" native, I grew up in America, but I was closer to Vancouver than I was Seattle, and the drinking age is 19, so I was up in Canada, quite often. I have to admit that I was very worried for Vancouver as they were not getting any snow, and the general attitude I have encountered is one of very relaxed, laid back, nice, mellow fellows. Not the type you might want when putting on an event that is going to be viewed by the world. But I was very impressed and frankly it is hard to follow up what China did. Anyhow I think they did a good job.

As for Japan and the Olympics, well... I don't know why but Japan just can't seem to bring home the goods. I am not too surprised with things like snowboarding, and skiing. I mean Americans and Canadians in the Northwest are super spoiled with Mount Baker, and Whistler in such close proximity. I see no reason this event shouldn't go to a Northwest native every year. But Japan just couldn't seem to pull it off in speed-skating (an area I think many Japanese thought they would clean up in), ski jumping, and curling isn't looking good. They picked up the bronze in mens figure skating which is good. I do root for Japan quite a bit as Japanese TV makes you very aware how hard the athletes have worked to get there, and so you really do want them to win. I guess the good thing is many of Japans athletes these year are pretty young so I am sure we will see them in four more years.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿